Our 45-minute mixed-age classes meet once a week for 9 weeks and include songs, rhythmic rhymes, movement, and instrument play. The activities are presented as informal, non-performance-oriented musical experiences...developmentally appropriate for children and easy for parents and caregivers, regardless of their own musical ability. A child can attend these classes from birth through age five - and through all nine different song collections. Child development researchers recommend mixed-age groupings because they foster natural, family-style learning. Younger children enjoy watching and imitating older ones; older children learn by leading younger ones; and adults are happy because the children in the family can go to class together. Each child participates at his or her own level in singing, moving, chanting, listening, watching, and exploring musical instruments.
Every child’s music development benefits from early exposure to music and movement. Because the early months are so important, Music Together® offers two options for babies. Infants may attend a mixed-age class, whether registered on their own or attending free with an older sibling. They may also be registered for the special “Babies Class” offered as a one-semester introduction to Music Together. The music activities and materials are specially designed for parents and caregivers who want to learn as much as possible about music development in infants. Meet other parents of newborns and learn fascinating music activities you can recreate at home with your baby. Babies must be under seven months old on the first day of class. Most babies in this program range from 3-5 months at the start of the semester. This class cannot be repeated.
1) Two 15-minute pre-recorded videos plus one 15-minute Facebook Live video per week featuring Miss Lori presenting songs/chants/activities just as she would in class. These videos will be shared in a private Facebook Group which only enrolled families will have access to.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For families who are not on Facebook and do not wish to join, the videos will be posted either to a private family portal on the website or to a private YouTube channel, so you'll be able to watch them there instead. Families will be able to watch all 3 videos at a convenient time that works for them.
2) Maracas collection materials (songbook, CD, download code). Families will have the option of picking up the materials at their convenience, or simply receiving a digital download code in an email if they do not wish to (or are unable to) pick up the materials in person.
3) Additional short videos featuring parent education, musical crafts, lullabies, etc.
4) Access to additonal videos from Music Together Worldwide, exclusively for enrolled families.
5) Downloadable family resources (coloring pages, musical games, etc).
The Gordon School, 45 Maxfield Ave., East Providence, RI.
Artists' Exchange, 50 Rolfe Square, Cranston, RI 02910.
You Rock School of Music (adjacent to Edgewood Congregational Church) 1802 Broad Street, Cranston, RI 02905.
Haven Fitness 2197 Broad Street, Cranston, RI 02905 (temporary location for summer, 2019) . Register below.
If the class you are interested in is full, please contact us to have your name put on a wait list. Additional classes may be added if there is a demand, so let us know if there are certain days/times that would work well for you. If there are not enough families enrolled in a particular class, it may be canceled. Therefore, if you have a second choice, please list it when registering. Thank you!